REPORTS TO: Community Engagement Manager
About PBS SoCal
PBS SoCal KOCE is home to PBS for Greater Los Angeles and Southern California. The organization delivers its mission to foster a love of learning, culture and community through distinctive PBS programming available on three broadcast channels and online, as well as person-to-person experiences in the classroom and the community.
This full time non-exempt position reports to the Community Engagement Manager and is responsible for executing various community engagement efforts. This position will lead two year-long outreach programs, will assist in executing the station’s diverse portfolio of engagement projects, will help maintain a diverse group of station community partnerships and will interact with the station’s community councils. The position also includes planning, writing and reporting for community engagement grants.
- Collaborate with Community Engagement team to develop and implement community engagement strategy.
- Local PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs Initiative – Supporting teachers and classrooms in implementing a unique digital journalism curriculum focused on producing original reports about how national and global issues affect local communities.
- Indie Lens Pop-Up – Producing a series of screening events around Southern California, showcasing films in PBS’ Independent Lens documentary series.
- Coordinate logistics related to various outreach events as assigned (i.e. -management of event details including promotion, attendee management, partner organizations, venues, etc.).
- Plan and execute engagement-focused grant writing and reporting.
- Organize, manage and distribute community engagement-related content and needs to proper internal personnel.
- Prepare and monitor budgets for outreach projects & engagement grants.
- Assist with the maintenance of a diverse portfolio of 50+ existing community partners.
- Serve as a liaison to create and maintain new, productive partnerships with external organizations (such as community-based organizations, PBS licensees, schools, cultural institutions and colleges) that serve as pipelines for the station’s community engagement efforts.
- Assist with the management of the PBS SoCal Community Councils.
- Regularly write reports on station community efforts to public media organizations including PBS, CPB, and other public stations.
- Coordinate the writing and timely delivery of grant reports connected to community engagement projects.
- Coordinate the tracking of community engagement grant reporting.
10% General Support
- Respond to inquiries, conduct daily business, and represent the station with a highly professional and personable demeanor at all times.
- Assist with PBS SoCal educational/programmatic outreach as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or marketing preferred.
- Experience with grant-writing, coordinating events and/or public broadcasting industry preferred.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office suite; skills in database programs a plus.
- Self-starter able to work independently while working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Ability to work with multiple internal departments and external contacts in a professional and timely manner.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
- Innovative thinker and problem-solver.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and manage numerous projects at once.
- Flexible work schedule with the ability to work nights/weekends.
- Ability to interface effectively and positively with all levels of the organization.
- Required background check and fingerprinting.
- Valid CA Driver’s License and dependable vehicle to travel to outreach events.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com.