REPORTS TO: Marketing Manager
About PBS SoCal
PBS SoCal KOCE is the flagship PBS station for Greater Los Angeles and Southern California, with offices in Costa Mesa, Century City and Downtown Los Angeles. This is a dynamic, growing non-profit organization with a start-up mentality, and opportunities for career growth.
The graphic designer will create high quality contemporary artwork for print, digital and broadcast, that is consistently on-brand. The graphic designer reports to the Marketing Manager, and works closely with the growing marketing, communications and digital teams to create fully integrated campaigns that drive viewership, engagement, and donations. The graphic designer will also work as a creative services resource to teams across the organization. This is an exempt position, and can work out of the Century City or Costa Mesa offices.
60% Graphic Design and Production
- Develops all graphic elements including: website mockups, digital and social advertising, print ads, flyers, signs and banners, collateral, corporate identity, PowerPoint presentations, and more as assigned.
- Works closely with project requestors to ensure the objectives of the piece are clear, then ensures all graphic design projects clearly convey the desired message, be it attend an event, donate or watch.
- Develops, documents and adheres to graphics guidelines including the use of photography, typography, color palette and more.
- Works closely VP of Marketing and Marketing Manager to conduct design exploration to introduce new programs, initiatives and services.
- Proofs graphics pieces to ensure they are delivered for review free of errors and typos.
- Works with print vendors to secure printing bids and order print jobs, creates print-ready files, and sees printing projects through delivery.
- Oversees the work of design agencies and freelancers as assigned.
25% Creative Services and Brand Management
- Receives creative services requests from marketing, digital and other departments in the organization; meets with requestors and ensures project objectives are clear and on strategy.
- Manages and traffics creative services projects to ensure they are delivered on time and with ample time for review and approvals.
- Manages and organizes the team’s creative assets, e.g., logos, campaign artwork,etc.
- Provides graphic assets to third parties for co-branded creative development, and reviews third-party creative for proper use of PBS SoCal brand.
- Reviews creative assets developed by other departments (including broadcast) and provides feedback to ensure brand consistency.
15% Other Duties
- Actively contributes to Marketing / Digital team meetings, and participates in making strategic decisions based upon data.
- Participates in and/or leads group/team brainstorm sessions, contributing ideas to creatively drive integrated campaigns.
- Develops relationship with creatives at PBS and PBS stations across the country.
- Remains well-versed in the PBS programming and the PBS SoCal schedule.
- 5+ years of experience in graphic design for print and web and print production. Experience with creating motion graphics for digital and television is a plus.
- Proven ability to use images and effective typesetting to deliver a strong message, and to create brand campaign elements that are consistent across platforms (print, digital, TV).
- Understands the fundamentals of brand and marketing.
- Digital-savvy, familiar with digital and social trends and specs.
- Expert-level skill with design software and technologies (e.g., InDesign, PhotoShop).
- Well versed in the use of digital collaboration tools, e.g., Google docs, Dropbox, Hightail and Slack.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with peers, managers and department heads.
- Comfortable working independently or collaboratively with a team, and working with colleagues in remote locations.
- Excellent organization skills, initiative, follow-through, and attention to detail, and ability to meet multiple deadlines with a high level of accuracy in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Familiar with photo credit, trademark, and other rights to image use.
- Able to travel regularly across our multiple offices, and to work weekends and evenings on occasion.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or related field.
- Plus: Experience in television and/or public media, and passion for non-profit work.
- Must submit application with a strong design portfolio.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.