REPORTS TO: Vice-President of Development
About PBS SoCal
PBS SoCal KOCE is home to PBS for Greater Los Angeles and Southern California. The organization delivers its mission to foster a love of learning, culture and community through distinctive PBS programming available on three broadcast channels and online, as we as person-to-person experiences in the classroom and the community.
PBS SoCal seeks an experienced fundraising professional to optimize support from major and planned gift donors and prospects in building annual support at the $10,000+ level, and in initiating, strengthening and managing relationships with current and potential planned giving donors. This is an outstanding opportunity to advance the mission of one of the most successful public media organizations in the U.S. The Major Gifts Officer is a full-time, exempt, regular status position with benefits. Reports to the VP, Development and works out of the Los Angeles office.
70% Donor Advancement
- Manage and develop portfolio of approximately 150 prioritized donors and prospects
- Responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation and purposeful stewardship of relationships for optimal support of PBS SoCal’s mission
- Responsible for advancing individual giving through major and planned gifts
- Plan and attend all fundraising activities and events
20% Planned Giving Strategy and Planning
- Initiate and execute donor strategy, communication and proposals for both internal and external audiences.
- Manages PBS SoCal’s planned giving program
- Provides stewardship of donors who have already announced a commitment to planned giving
- Helps write marketing materials and communications for the planned giving program
- Prepare planning and reporting materials as necessary for senior management.
- Responsible for regular maintenance of donor files
- Create and prepare materials for distribution to donors
- Consistent tracking and reporting of major gift and planned gift progress
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion and compliance with PBS SoCal and AFP ethics policies and standards
- A proven fundraising track record and experience in making cold calls and developing cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Ability to lead, work in a team setting, and work independently
- Working knowledge of planned and deferred giving
- Capable of handling numerous tasks at once and still meeting deadlines
- An understanding of the appropriate level of communication (both written and verbal) when interacting with donors
- Ability to exude professionalism, experience and confidence
- Highly-organized, motivated, proactive and goal driven
- Attention to accuracy and completeness of work
- Technologically savvy, with fluent use of business software systems including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), and fundraising CRMs
- Orientation toward constant improvement and eager to learn new skills and systems
- Entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility and patience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree; Legal, finance, business administration or related field preferred
- 3+ years of direct fundraising experience – specifically major and planned gifts
- A passion for public media a plus
While performing the duties of this job, the Prospect Research Analyst is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The working conditions are primarily a general office setting. Position may require some off-site travel to vendors and/or other such locations as necessary.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com by Friday, June 30, 2017.