REPORTS TO: Digital Content Manager
About PBS SoCal
PBS SoCal KOCE is home to PBS for Greater Los Angeles and Southern California. The organization delivers its mission to foster a love of learning, culture and community through distinctive PBS programming available on three broadcast channels and online, as well as person-to-person experiences in the classroom and the community.
The Social Media Coordinator is responsible for managing all PBS SoCal social media channels, as well as creating digital content. The role will work closely with the marketing and digital teams to develop and distribute digital content. This position works out of the Century City office.
10% Marketing Content Planning
- Contributes to the Digital Content Calendar, which encompasses website, email and social media content on the basis of priorities established by the Marketing Priorities Calendar, plus input from various departments about events, initiatives and content that should be promoted online, in emails or via social media.
- Works with underwriting, national productions and development teams to ensure all 3rd party contractual obligations are fulfilled as they relate to website, email and social visibility.
- Collaborates with digital content manager, marketing manager, PR Director and other departments to develop integrated plans to support new shows, season premieres and other station initiatives.
- Constantly generates ideas to improve digital content, and to promote PBS content via holidays, pop culture moments, trending topics and breaking news.
10% Website Content Management
- Updates website content regularly, making sure the homepage reflects the programming we are airing, event calendar is updated, as well as uploading trailers and full episodes to website video portal, to support television programming.
- Ensures all web updates follow design requirements, and use semantic HTML.
- Contributes content for the organization’s blog.
50% Social Media
- Executes PBS SoCal’s social media strategy in partnership with the digital content manager.
- Curates & posts content for all PBS SoCal social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and other platforms that emerge.
- Stays on top of social media trends, changes in the landscape, and best practices in order to recommend strategies to maximize social media exposure.
- Coordinates and fulfills prizing for all social-based giveaways.
- Tracks social media metrics, and provides screenshots and metric reports for grant-based programs
- Monitors and reports on competitive social media channels.
- Continually improves the station’s social media channel reach, engagement and fan base.
- Serves as community manager, responding to messages and comments on a timely basis.
- Attends station events and posts supporting social media content.
30% Email Newsletters
- Develops content for weekly, monthly and other newsletters. Includes identifying compelling imagery, writing engaging copy and subject lines, creating email newsletter, securing approvals and working with digital team on distribution.
- Tracks results and recommends changes and tests to improve open rates, click-through rates and more.
- Monitors competitive and other best of breed email marketing campaigns to identify areas for improvement and ideas to test with our community.
- Identifies and proposes methods to build email list opt-ins
The ideal candidate is a creative writer and storyteller with proven ability to develop a brand’s voice across all channels. Also required are attention to detail, good organizational and multitasking skills, professional experience with content management systems and social media channels, and the ability to work cross-functionally with people at a wide variety of levels.
- Two-plus years of professional experience producing social media content, and with building an audience for a brand’s social media channels, plus working experience with WordPress or other content management systems.
- Dual-minded – highly creative and an excellent writer with the ability to be process-driven and rely on data to make decisions.
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS strongly preferred.
- Collaborative, collegial and resourceful, and willing to pitch in on a variety of projects.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Must have an appreciation for fun and humor, along with the editorial maturity to observe traditional guidelines of accuracy, responsible presentation, quality and trust that are inherent to the brand.
- A curious observer of news, trends and pop culture (particularly Internet and television).
- Familiarity with or interest in television production with a focus on interactive storytelling.
- Passionate about proactively learning and researching new media and emerging technologies.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite programs, particularly Photoshop and Premiere.
- Experience in Broadcast, TV, Radio, and/or Non-Profit a plus
- Strong photography skills also a plus
- BA/BS degree in marketing or related, or equivalent professional experience.
- Ability to work flexible work hours
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com.