If you have seen or heard Big Bird in the news recently, you may be wondering what would happen if funding to PBS went away.
Many people have shared their opposition to eliminating federal funding for PBS in light of recent comments. Jo Ellen Chatham, a co-chair of the PBS SoCaL board of trustees, shared her story in the LA Times. Filmmaker Ken Burns also wrote an Op-Ed for USA TODAY talking about the value of PBS.
The American Public has named PBS the most trusted media brand for nine consecutive years. PBS SoCaL belongs to the American people. We receive an important 11% of our funding in the form of a federally funded Community Service Grant, which helps preserve public television’s non-commercial nature. The remaining funding (89%) comes from viewers, foundations, and corporations.
More facts on why PBS is a valuable resource can be found at ValuePBS.org
To take action on the issue of public media funding, visit 170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting.
Update: The Big Bird Battle
Rick Reiff and PBS SoCaL President Mel Rogers discuss federal funding for public television on SoCaL Insider with Rick Reiff.