So Cal, So Healthy: Crenshaw Farmer's Market
"Show me a mall, and I'm happy." -Julia Roberts
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping." -Bo Derek
Every mom knows it. Malls are everywhere. Malls are uptown, downtown and in your town. Malls rock the community with discounts, sales, deals, steals, and other temptations for the budget strapped mom. Can you name one mommy that has not been to the mall to shop for her growing toddler? Every mom is at the mall. A mother who is busy raising more than one child may go to the mall to escape the hassles of everyday life. A single dad may find the mall a great place to socialize. A brand new babysitter may bring the kids over to the nearest mall to make use of an awesome arcade. If your family needs it, it can be found at the mall. Let’s face it, the mall is where your best spending, err, shopping happens.
Shoes, clothes, home furnishings are all at the mall. But did you know you can shop for a great variety of farm fresh fruits and vegetables at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw (Mall) Farmer’s Market? Oh yes you can! This respectable Farmer’s Market operates every Saturday, rain or shine.
Right there, smack dab in the middle of one of the largest urban communities in Los Angeles is a wonderful opportunity for moms to buy fresh, locally grown veggies. We all can be happy because moms shopping on an EBT/ CalFresh card are most welcome.
Imagine our world, a place where all economic abilities can afford to buy fresh, beautiful veggies and sweet to eat fruit for the kiddos right there at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Farmer’s Market. Exciting! Say goodbye to stale, expired and tired produce. Say ‘hello darling’ to fresh, crisp and clean fruits, vegetables and real organic foods that your kids will love. Go there and check it out for yourself. This Farmer’s Market offers up lively music and tons of free parking while you shop. Get more veggies; Shop until you drop.
Crenshaw Baldwin Hill’s (Mall) Farmer’s Market, located on the Promenade, by Rave Cinemas 15 and is open every Saturday, rain or shine, 10am until 3pm. Visit online: http://www.baldwinhillscrenshawplaza.com/farmersmarket
Take a good look at Crenshaw Baldwin Hill’s Farmer’s Market.
This week’s PBS Food recipes to try:
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 large mango, preferably manila or champagne
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro (one small bunch)
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 1 whole jalapeno, minced (seeds removed if you prefer less heat)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp honey
- Chop up the strawberries and mango into very small bits.
- Place in a bowl with the cilantro, minced red onion and minced jalapeno.
- Add honey and lime juice and stir well.
This salsa is best eaten the day it is prepared.
- 8 oranges such as Valencia
- Using the palm of your hand, roll the oranges across a counter top or table top to soften them for juicing. Cut the oranges in half (through the middle not the stem end) and remove any seeds that you can see. Working over a medium bowl, insert a citrus reamer into the flesh of the orange and squeeze the orange simultaneously to release its juice.
- Remove any seeds, and strain if you prefer pulp-free juice. Transfer the juice to a pitcher and serve immediately.
Next week, we will discover that oh so famous zip code, 90210. It is LaCienga Park in Beverly Hills to the rescue for fun, physical activity and family fitness. See you, then!