PBS SoCaL is looking for completed documentaries, films and short format interstitials of interest to the Southern California community. Producers, if you have a completed project you would like to submit to PBS SoCaL for broadcast consideration, please follow the instructions below. Please note, PBS SoCaL does not accept unsolicited verbal pitches. All submissions must be in writing, either electronically or through the mail. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You can submit your video 1 of 2 ways
- Send a non-returnable DVD screener to:
3080 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
- Send us an email that includes a link to view the program online.
You must also send the following information with your program
- A completed release form
- Program description and relevance to southern California
- Length of program-- is this program formatted without commercial breaks for public TV?
- Identification of key project staff and talent, and email address of the person submitting the project for consideration
- If you have a sponsor or underwriter tag (not mandatory) include tag language, including length and brief description (i.e., "This program is made possible by…..")
- Project Funding source(s) and relationship to content, if any
- Product offers (videos, etc.) and vendor information, if any
- Broadcast History and prior submissions to distributors
- Indication of rights available - how many months or years may we broadcast your program? Online rights? Are you seeking a Presenting Station for this program?
- Videotape format you will provide to PBS SoCaL (if selected)
- Please indicate if the program will be Closed Captioned
- Please indicate if you are seeking national distribution for this program and would like PBS SoCaL to be your presenting station.
PBS SoCaL is only able to broadcast non-closed captioned programs on the Plus channel. If you would like greater visibility for your program on our HD channel, you will be advised to look into having your program captioned at the following suggested resources after it has been accepted for broadcast by PBS SoCaL through written notice:
- Aberdeen Captioning
22362 Gilberto, Suite 120, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
(949) 858-4463 - www.abercap.com
- Los Angeles Media Access Group at WGBH
300 E. Magnolia Boulevard, 2nd Floor, Burbank, CA 91502
(818) 562-3344 - email@example.com
- National Captioning Institute
303 North Glenoaks Blvd., #200, Burbank, CA 91502
Notification, Rights, and Format Required
PBS SoCaL will contact you if interested in airing your program. If your project is selected, you will be required to sign a "Free Program Offer" broadcast agreement that states you have the right to broadcast all the elements in the program and are not asking for payment. Please do not submit your tape to us before we have sent you our guidelines regarding technical specifications for broadcast. After all tech specs are met you will be asked to closed caption your program and send us a videotape in the following format; DVC Pro or HD CAM Due to the high volume of submissions, it may take as long as 6 to 8 weeks for a response. We are sorry, but we are unable to meet with producers individually.