As the entertainment capital of the world, Los Angeles has one of the largest communities of independent filmmakers. As the flagship PBS station in Southern California, PBS SoCaL works with independent filmmakers to develop high-quality programs and series that educate, entertain and enlighten our viewers. “PBS SoCaL Presents,” is proud to distribute a select number of these programs and series to PBS stations nationally each year. A sample of PBS SoCaL's recent national productions can be found here.
PRESENTING STATON SERVICES
PBS SoCaL provides expertise in producing, packaging, and delivering of national television programs for public television distribution. PBS SoCaL’s staff provides production management assistance and complete national public television distribution services for independent producers. The following support can be offered to programs accepted by PBS SoCaL in the role of presenting station.
PBS SoCaL Basic Services:
- Station will provide advice and guidance to Producer on formatting the production to national standards (such as providing notes on edits, length, credits, DVD offer, promo, and deliverables).
- Station will provide guidance to ensure that FCC and Public TV criteria are met regarding content issues and program funding, which includes on-air underwriter message.
- Station will send a PBS-ready screener of program to distributor(s) to request distribution.
- Upon being accepted by a distributor, station will negotiate broadcast and distribution rights with distributor and will create a national program offer and arrange a feed date though distributor.
- Station will negotiate and prepare all contracts pertaining to related party agreements.
- Station will cover the cost of the national satellite feed.
- Station will advise producer on ancillary PBS Distribution services for the series, such as educational distribution options, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
PBS SoCaL Broadcast Services for Los Angeles Area:
- Station will guarantee broadcasts on PBS SoCaL during the license term.
- Station will tag the producer’s 30-second tune-in promo and will commit to placements in station breaks.
PBS SoCaL Online & Social Media Promotional Services:
- Station will create a splash page for the program on our website. Please see examples of our splash pages here.
- Station will create a private VIMEO site with password for programmers to watch a preview video of the program and the program promo.
- Station will create a feature promotion in our station eNewsletter for the local broadcast premiere on our HD Channel.
- Station will post social media related to the premiere of the program.
PBS SoCaL Press Promotional Services:
- Station will provide a publicist to provide a national communications plan with a target to encourage viewership.
- Station will write and distribute to local media a tune-in press release.
- Station will write a national press release that will be available to PBS stations via the PBS SoCaL program splash page and MyPBS.
- Station will be available to consult with any stations inquiring about press opportunities in their market.
- Station will create talking points for producer when dealing with the media.
PBS SoCaL Station Relations Services
- Station will provide a station relations representative to write and execute a station relations plan that meets program objectives and promotes broad carriage of the program on PBS stations.
- Station relations representative will work with station to create program marketing materials and distribute to Public TV system.
- Station relations representative will phone and/or email Public TV stations to encourage and obtain broadcast carriage data and will provide producer with carriage data reports prior to feed date and following broadcast.
- Station relations representative will manage written communication to all stations including program updates and special information.
Phil and Mary Lyons
Dr. James Rosser