PBS SoCaL does not accept unsolicited verbal project proposals. All project proposals must be in writing rather than through a “pitch meeting.” We encourage sending as much relevant information about each project as possible. If the proposal meets our criteria, we can write a letter of interest to the show owner indicating our likely commitment to broadcast the completed program, assuming it is produced satisfactorily. This letter of interest may help the show owner find revenue to fund the production.
Suggestions for elements to include in a production proposal are:
- Program description, including treatment, approach, and description of any interactive elements. Include relevance to southern California, if any.Episodic descriptions (if project is a series).
- Project timetable.
- Identification of key project staff and talent, including resume information (PBS SoCaL does not have production staff to lend to outside producers).
- Business Plan, indicating approach being taken to secure funding from underwriters. (PBS SoCaL cannot invest money in productions offered to us. We do not have a production fund for venture investments.)
- Proposed Budget according to project timetable, specifying month-by-month expenses.
- Examples of producer's previous works.
- Project History and prior submissions to distributors or production organizations.
- Proposed funding source and relationship to producer or content.
- The email address of the person submitting the proposal for consideration.
- Please indicate what you are seeking from PBS SoCaL.
- Please indicate if you are seeking national distribution for this program and would like PBS SoCaL to be your presenting station.
Before PBS SoCaL can read your program proposal, you will need to fill out this release and return it to us with your program proposal materials.
Please send all materials to:
3080 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
You may also email the complete submission materials.
Due to the high volume of submissions, it may take as long as 6 to 8 weeks for a response. We are sorry, but we are unable to meet with producers individually.