POSITION TITLE: Communications Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Marketing / Communications
REPORTS TO: Communications Manager
STATUS: Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
LOCATION: Burbank, CA
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with Experience
WORK IN ENTERTAINMENT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH A MEANINGFUL CAUSE
Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) – which is made up of PBS SoCal, KCET and Link TV is looking for a creative communications/PR professional to join our team. If you are an enthusiastic, resourceful, ambitious, and fast-learning entry level public relations professional who enjoys media relations, event planning, community philanthropy efforts/programming and corporate communications, then send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com today!
ABOUT PUBLIC MEDIA GROUP OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (PMGSC)
Public Media Group of Southern California (KCET, PBS SoCal and Link TV) tells stories that matter through original content that reflects the diversity of the region, as well as the full schedule of trusted and beloved PBS programs. Our content channels –KCET and PBS SoCal– are available for free on internet-connected screens and seven local broadcast channels. Link TV can be accessed through national satellite channels.
A donor-supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations while delivering social impact through services that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
The position reports to the Communications Manager, and supports the initiatives of the Public Media Group of Southern California and its content brands PBS SoCal, KCET and Link TV – with particular focus on our education and community engagement work.
40% Media Relations
- Provides support for all aspects of press relations
- Creates and distributes press releases, weekly programming highlights media alerts, media lists and tune-ins
20% Corporate Communications
- Writes internal communications materials and contributes to the development of corporate communications plans and materials.
- Supports the team in outreach and relationship building with stakeholders including community partners and local elected officials.
- Monitors, tracks, collects, archives and distributes daily press coverage to relevant staff members/executives and creates coverage reports as needed for projects and the organization overall
- Creates, manages and regularly maintains media lists and databases
- Provides event support for premiere screenings, junkets, etc. both in planning event and on-site at events
- Requires discretion and professionalism when working with celebrities, agents and other talent
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders: the general public, vendors and staff members of all backgrounds
- Must be able to take direction and work well under pressure with colleagues at all levels – including the executive level.
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal skills, with a warm, engaging and highly disciplined work style; must possess the ability to work independently and as a team player
- Proficiency with Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and social media platforms a must.
- Experience working in web CMS, e.g., WordPress, email software e.g., Mailchimp and basic web coding a plus.
- Desktop publishing/design/production skills a plus.
- A positive attitude and self-motivation extremely important.
- Must be flexible and willing to work at offsite events and outside of business hours – reliable transportation required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing/ Communications or a combination of education and relevant professional work experience.
- Experience with communications /community relations for a non-profit organization (preferred)
- Knowledge of and enjoyment of working in entertainment (with knowledge of pop culture), and/or local government as well as community programs that highlight diverse cultures a plus!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.