POSITION TITLE: Early Learning Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Education and Engagement
REPORTS TO: Director, Early Learning
STATUS: Full-time, Non-exempt
LOCATION: Costa Mesa, CA
WORK WITH PURPOSE!
Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) is looking for a friendly and outgoing individual to join our outreach team! If you enjoy engaging with community members and sharing information about opportunities and resources, then send your cover letter and resume today!
ABOUT PUBLIC MEDIA GROUP OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (PMGSC)
Public Media Group of Southern California (KCET, PBS SoCal and LINK TV) tell stories that matter through original programs that reflect the diversity of the region, and the full schedule of trusted PBS programs. Our content channels –KCET and PBS SoCal– are available for free on internet-connected screens and seven local broadcast channels. LINK TV can be accessed through national satellite channels.
A donor-supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations and delivers social impact through services that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
The early learning specialist will develop and implement innovative, challenging, and engaging learning experiences with an emphasis on building STEM skills for children ages 2-8. This position will support PBS SoCal partners such as early learning agencies, Head Starts, preschools, nonprofit organizations, school districts, and libraries among other to develop and implement learning content through hands-on curricula, in-person and virtual trainings, workshops, and innovative strategies to increase the use at home, in the community, and schools. A successful applicant will show a true passion for leveraging technology and high-quality media towards children’s learning goals. This position will act as a liaison between the station, Los Angeles and Orange County community partners, and PBS SoCal educational initiatives.
25% Curriculum Development
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of curricula resources for early learning—including essential curriculum, technology integration, and resources to support all learners that are aligned with state and national standards.
- Oversee the pedagogical aspects of PBS SoCal’s early learning curricula for early childhood educators and families and plays a collaborative role in all PBS SoCal’s early learning content development.
- Create, pilot, and evaluate new curriculum and other educational materials for educators and organizations that meet the partner and client needs; align to frameworks or standards, use the transmedia approach, focus on a new age-appropriate educational technology, and/or center on a new PBS KIDS property.
- Keep abreast of current developments in the areas of curriculum, pedagogy, and theory related to early learning STEM and technology instruction for meeting the needs of children, families, caregivers, and educators.
65% Project Implementation
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with early learning educators, libraries, afterschool programs, community partners, school districts, and other educational organizations.
- Manages stakeholder relationships, including users/practitioners, facilitators, organizational partners, contract curriculum developers, cross-functional colleagues, both vertical and horizontal project leadership.
- Organize, plan and facilitate camps, afterschool programs, coding workshops, educator trainings, and family outreach activities that promote PBS KIDS resources and the utilization of educational media to improve student achievement (ages 2-8 with a focus on STEM & Literacy).
- Plan, design, and implement professional development workshops aligned to Early Learning Standards and facilitate learning through a variety of media-rich, interactive learning experiences for early learning educators.
- Identify new promotional opportunities and outreach activities; attend related community events.
- Maintain positive contractor-client relationships through consistent, thoughtful, and professional communications to establish PBS SoCal’s reputation as a skilled and collaborative contractor.
- Maintain PBS SoCal’s awareness in the system and grow its images as an innovator and content creator by maintaining a consistent presence on online platforms and sharing new ideas and high-quality content.
5% General Support
- Respond to inquiries, conduct daily business, and represent the station with a highly professional and personable demeanor at all times.
- Assist with PBS SoCal programmatic and educational initiatives as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field or equivalent experience
- At least 1+ years of proven experience managing education-related projects
- At least 3+ years of experience in education and/or education technology work
- Experience creating and implementing educational programs
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies, partner organizations, and stakeholders, both locally and nationally
- Must have a general knowledge of and a strong interest in young children and/or early childhood education; Creative approach to STEAM aligned ideals
- Must be resourceful, self-directed, and a flexible team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to accomplish multiple tasks, prioritize work, and be comfortable with a fast-paced, changing environment
- Highly skilled in effective oral and written communication
- Experience in trainings others, presenting to a group, and effective public speaking
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Google Docs, Apple technology (iPads, etc.), and current educational technology practices
- Ability to interface effectively and positively with all levels of the organization
- Excellent attendance, punctuality, and dependability
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends, on occasion
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Valid CA Driver’s License and dependable vehicle to travel to outreach events
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.