60th ANNUAL L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION Garners Three Tellys;
VARIETY STUDIO: ACTORS ON ACTORS Receives Two Honors
(Pictured L to R: Lin-Manuel Miranda and Lady Gaga from VARIETY STUDIO: ACTORS ON ACTORS and the Los Angeles Chamber Choir as featured in the L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION)
Burbank, Calif. – May 28, 2020 – PBS SoCal, Southern California’s home for new PBS program premieres, today announced that it was honored with nine Telly Awards, which celebrate excellence in video and television content across all screens and recognizing excellence in local, regional and cable TV commercials, non-broadcast video and TV programs. Topping the list for PBS SoCal were three honors received for the 60th ANNUAL L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION, a free regional holiday tradition broadcast and streamed live on Christmas Eve and performed each year at The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion since 1959. A co-production with The Music Center in association with CDK Productions, this year’s event featured more than 20 music ensembles, choirs and dance companies from the many neighborhoods and cultures of Los Angeles County.
Additionally, the Tellys awarded two honors to VARIETY STUDIO: ACTORS ON ACTORS in the category of Telvision General – Entertainment. One Silver Telly was presented for the Television Actors Edition, while another award went to the episode that highlighted a conversation between Lady Gaga and Lin-Manuel Miranda. The EMMY®Award-winning series of specials co-produced by PBS SoCal in partnership with Variety Media, LLC features exclusive one-on-one conversations with top acting talent from the year’s most notable films and television series expected to contend during Awards season.
Founded in 1979, the Telly Awards honor video and television made for all screens as judged by the Telly Award Judging Council, a group of leading video and television experts from some of the most prestigious companies in entertainment, publishing, advertising and emerging technology. Under this year’s “Telly Awards Winners Tell Great Stories” theme, honorees encompassed directors, editors, animators, producers, technologists and more across a wide range of industries, company sizes and regions. Several other PBS programs — from stations across the country — were honored, as well as content from organizations that included HBO Latin America, Adult Swim, Condé Nast, BBC and CNN.
PBS SoCal’s full list of winning entries are as follows:
- THE 60TH ANNUAL L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION – Gold Telly Winner in the category of Use of Live Video/Broadcast
- THE 60TH ANNUAL L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION – Silver Telly Winner in the category of Television Craft-Directing
- THE 60TH ANNUAL L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION – Bronze Telly Winner in the category of Online General – Diversity & Inclusion
- VARIETY STUDIO: ACTORS ON ACTORS (Television Actors) – Silver Telly Winner in the category of Television General – Entertainment
- VARIETY STUDIO: ACTORS ON ACTORS (Lady Gaga & Lin-Manuel Miranda) – Silver Telly Winner in the category of Television General – Entertainment
- HOLLYWOOD’S ARCHITECT: THE PAUL R. WILLIAMS STORY – Silver Telly Winner in the category of Television General-Biography
- AMERICAN VOICES – Silver Telly Winner in the category of Television General-Documentary: Individual
- CYBERWORK AND THE AMERICAN DREAM – Silver Telly Winner in the category of Television General-Information
- VOICES FROM THE FRONTLINE: CHINA’S WAR ON POVERTY – Bronze Telly Winner in the category of Television General-Cultural
View all of the winners of The 41st Telly Awards at www.tellyawards.com/winners.
ABOUT PBS SOCAL
PBS SoCal is a donor-supported community institution that is a part of Public Media Group of Southern California, the flagship PBS station for 19 million diverse people across California formed by the merger of PBS SoCal and KCETLink Media Group. PBS SoCal delivers content and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain – over the air, online, in the community and in the classroom. We offer the full slate of beloved PBS programs including MASTERPIECE, NOVA, PBS NewsHour, Frontline, Independent Lens, a broad library of documentary films including works from Ken Burns; and educational PBS KIDS programs including Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood and Curious George. Our programs are accessible for free through four broadcast channels, and available for streaming at pbssocal.org, on the PBS mobile apps, and via connected TV platforms Samsung devices, Android TV, Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV.