Learn more about the PBS SoCal KIDS Writers Contest here.
Moses Higuera is a very creative second-grader from Carson. His mom, Mayra, said he has been writing “from the moment he knew how to hold a pencil.” She said Moses was inspired to write “The Moldy Avocado” after he saw his twin brother and cousin eating guacamole with chips one day after school. Thus, a story about an ‘avocado dude’ named Moldy who ends up saving the day — with ingenuity and plenty of coolness — was born. Pretty surprising, considering Moses isn’t a big fan of avocados himself.
Moses’ story was selected to be converted into an animation by PBS SoCal staff. All animations were created by Henry Cram.
And now, a glimpse into the mind of the budding writer:
- What’s your favorite book? The series of Captain Underpants.
- What’s your favorite TV show? Arthur
- What’s your favorite type of car? Porsche
- What’s your favorite color? Green
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Engineer