For the third consecutive year, PBS SoCal will bring you Summer Learning Day, an educational festival filled with interactive family activities, live entertainment, and opportunities to connect with awesome organizations and neighbors in our Southern California community! This year Summer Learning Day: Be My Neighbor will take place at Compton’s Dollarhide Community Center on June 24, from 12-4 p.m. (map)
Here are six reasons that you should clear your calendar and come out to play with PBS SoCal:
- Some of your favorite friends will be there.You can meet THEE Daniel Tiger and Katerina Kittycat! They’ll be at Summer Learning Day all day long—a perfect chance to say hello and take photos with you and your family!
- Prizes and Free Stuff.PBS SoCal and many of our partner organizations will share lots of SWAG with families at Summer Learning Day—from bags and pencils to books in English and Spanish. You’ll also have a chance to enter a raffle to win a PBS KIDS Playtime Pad so your family can take the Daniel Tiger fun home with you!
- New Adventures.At Summer Learning Day, you’ll find opportunities for your kids to learn how to be good neighbors, just like Daniel Tiger and Katerina Kittycat! Your family can make cards for children who are currently patients at the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, donate canned food and school supplies, or sign up to volunteer with many other organizations doing amazing work in our community.
- Live performances. There’s going to be awesome live entertainment, including musical sets from the Amoeba People—a science rock band, and a comedy show from Story Pirates, an improv group that turns kids’ stories into live performances.
- Yummy treats. Did we mention the FREE SNACKS!? Our friends at SugarWatch will be providing fruit and other healthy snacks to keep you and your family fueled up for even more fun!
Questions? Want to let us know you’ll be there? Head over to the Facebook event page to RSVP or leave us a message!