LA Times High School Insider and PBS SoCal’s Student Reporting labs partnered with Mendez High School and artworxLA to create a body of election-issue student created content around the theme “I, too, am America.” Building from the iconic Langston Hughes poem, I, too, student writers and artists from different schools across the city worked together over the past two months to explore their place in the evolving American landscape.
The goal: giving American youth an opportunity to share their perspectives on issues that matter to them in 2017.
After being given a set of prompts, brainstorming and discussing concepts amongst their peers, students wrote, painted, designed, and filmed their ideas. Go behind the scenes to learn more about the beginnings of this collaboration.
Below is a sampling of their work, also accessible on LA Times High School Insider, which students will present through spoken word, music, video, and theater at a free community event on February 16.
Note: the student work below was created in the students’ personal capacity. The opinions expressed in these pieces are the authors’ own and do not reflect the view of PBS SoCal.
- Letter to Angel – by Ana Guerrero with art by Mitchell Huntley
- Stop shooting innocent black people – by Braxton Taylor with art by Kathy Campo
- “Si Yo Fuera Presidente” – by Daniel Baranda with art by Ashley Bronner
- If I Were President – by Hector Galeano with art by Cecilia Flores
- If I Were President… – by Juliana Foley with art by Alexia Sambrano
- If I Were President – by Mauro Bautista Flores
- To be President… – by Mayra Recio with art by Paola Morales
- If I Were President – by Michael Rodriguez
- The Star-Spangled Kingdom – by Nadia Loera with art by Jonathan Diaz
- Equality for All – by Ricardo Garcia with art by Vincent Avila
- I’m angry. I’m scared. I won’t back down. – by Sarah Orgiyvsky with art by Alyson Flescher
- Homelessness, an Epidemic that Must be Cured – by Steven Gurrola with art by Cristal Trujillo
- Which door? – Taylor Cooper with art by Jonathan Mayorga
- I am an American, but when will I be treated like one? – by Victoria Navarro with art by Cyanne Rangel
- If I Were President – by Zuleika Maldonado with art by Joey Safchik