Integrating media and technology can be a challenge, especially for distance learning. As your local public media station, we are committed to providing early childhood educators with resources and strategies to support families and students with new educational opportunities for at-home learning.
Join us every week to develop the skills necessary to select, use, and integrate technology for learning.
Register for Upcoming Webinars
When: Sunday, January 24 | 8:00am – 3:00pm PST
This three-part event is an opportunity to reflect, learn and engage with other educators around a topic you may hear about, but may not feel like you have the time or energy for — ‘self-care.’ One of the best things we can do for our students is to take care of ourselves, so we invite you to join us and dive deeper into conversations about emotional health, equity in education, and exercising compassion, especially during times of extraordinary stress. We will also share techniques and resources you can bring back to your learners. Register here.
When: Every Thursday starting February 4 through March 4 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm PST
PBS SoCal’s Media Mentor program is designed to empower early learning educators to become media mentors for their students and families. The program is composed of five subject-specific professional development webinars that incorporate education, practice, and family engagement components for technology and media integration and evaluation. Register here.
When: Every first Wednesday of the month | 4:00pm – 4:30pm PST
On the first Wednesday of the month, PBS SoCal will host a 30-minute resource webinar that covers the different platforms available to early learning educators, as well as information and resources for lesson planning with PBS KIDS. Register here.
When: Every third Thursday of the month | 6:00pm – 7:00pm PST
Join PBS SoCal for an hour of relaxation, reflection and celebration of another month of distance/flex learning! Educators have the opportunity to connect with one another, decompress and have fun while receiving PBS goodies for them and their classrooms. Register here.
When: Saturday, February 20 | 11:00am – 2:00pm PST
A virtual EdCamp is an engaging UNconference allowing early learning educators to connect and share resources with one another. In this event, educators will be placed in breakout rooms to discuss all things distance learning and childhood development. Register here.
Educator Tools and Resources
In addition, early learning educators can find free and resources and tools to provide learning opportunities for families and students using the PBS KIDS Digital Boxes.
- At-Home Learning offers broadcast programming and accompanying digital resources that adhere to California’s state curriculum.
- PBSLearningMedia provides free teaching resources including videos, lesson plans, and games aligned to state and national standards.
- PBS KIDS offers engaging and interactive content for young children, including educational games, streaming videos, and activities from Curious George, Wild Kratts and other PBS KIDS shows.
- PBS KIDS LEARN provides learning resources to help make the most of PBS KIDS content and support children’s learning every day.
Visit our At-Home Learning page to find the latest articles with tips for educators.
- Five Anti-Bias Education Strategies for Early Childhood Classrooms
- Inquiry Projects: Start with a Child’s Question and Let Curiosity Lead the Way
- Let Them Play! Foster Curiosity in Young Students with Loose Parts
- Honor Your Students’ Heritage by Pronouncing Their Names Correctly
- How to Unwind After Teaching Online